Friday 10 August 2012

Live video streams of the Olympics are >300% higher in 2012 than in 2008

"With the Olympics halfway over, NBC has begun to release the success of their digital properties, which includes live streaming of all the games on their iPad apps. The web changed completely between 2008 and 2012, enabling a more social Olympics who’s coverage can be found way beyond the TV screen. Here are details on the NBC Olympics digital success.
The results are in for NBC’s digital footprint for the Olympics. Here are the main stats:
75 Million Total Videos Streamed, Up 182% vs. Beijing in 2008
34 Million Live Streams, Up 333% vs. Beijing
744 Million Page Views, Up 160 Million from Beijing
NBC Olympics Live Extra & NBC Olympics apps Peaked at No. 1 & 2 as Top Free Apps for iPhone & iPad on App Store
6.2 Million Devices Verified by Cable, Satellite and Telco Customers
Regarding NBCOlympics.com’s mobile website, the total unique viewers for the 2008 games were 2.8 million and for London 2012 there have already been 5.2 million, proving smartphone penetration. The NBC Live app has already had 7 million unique users and the NBC Olympics app has had 2.7 million."

1 comment:

Unknown said...

It’s amazing how much streaming technology has evolved since the Beijing games; I was surprised the usage numbers surpassed Beijing’s figures earlier this week. I am part of the millions who saw some of the Olympics on the go. I used the Dish Remote Access App on my iPad to catch live coverage and recorded matches on my DVR. I watched a recording of competitive canoeing on my commute to Dish, and now I can’t get enough of that sport. I am impressed by their skill and dedication to their water sport!